Topic: The Role of Art in an Age-friendly Austin
AustinUP is hosting a series of Saturday morning “coffee chats” for older adults in the community who want to know more about aging in Austin, including resource updates and news from the Age-friendly Austin front.
For this event, instead of a general discussion, we’re going to talk specifically about the role of art in an age-friendly community. Music, visual art, film, etc. will surely help us as we emerge from this life-altering pandemic. But how do we make sure everyone has access to the arts — especially those aging in place?
Since we can’t meet in a face-to-face setting at this time, we’re going to test drive a coffee chat via Zoom, an online meeting platform. (BYO coffee or tea!) The date is Saturday, April 18, from 11 a.m. to 12 noon.
Interaction will be welcome and encouraged as we discuss “what if” possibilities with an eye on addressing the current needs of older adults in our community. We also will have several artists on the video call to help lead the discussion, including local musician Paul Klemperer.
Interested? Please register on this Eventbrite page.
- This is a free AustinUP event.
- Older adults of all ages are welcome. We especially invite participation from caregivers representing the interests of elder friends or family members.
- All registered participants will be emailed the Zoom login info. You can use your computer, tablet or phone to access. Important: This event will be password-protected to ensure your online safety.
- You might want to create a free Zoom account before the meeting (you will not need to purchase anything). Learn more about how to join Zoom meetings from this quick video tutorial.
- Log on about a minute or so before the session begins to get your bearings.
- Calling in without video is an option, but the best way to use Zoom with more interpersonal connection is to have your camera on and show your face.
- If you have questions about Zoom or need help with set-up, we’re here for you! Simply send an email to us at [email protected] and let us know how to follow up with you.